Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 22:22:05 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Stephane E. Potvin" <sepotvin@videotron.ca>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: HEADS UP : laptop power-down change]

Please format your messages in a fashion conducive to replies if you
expect same.

> > Yes.  There is a perfectly good set of run-time options which allow you
> > to determine at any time whether you want to power-off or halt; having
> > a kernel option override this would be stupid.
>
> It's not stupid at all in the current context. The majority of us that
> have laptop uses i386 compatible processors that don't have the system
> monitor you mention.

Fine.  Please note that we now run on systems that do.  Keeping the
functional difference between platforms as small as possible is a
desirable goal.

Notwithstanding this, it is useful to be able to halt rather than shut
down an i386 system, and mandating a disable of APM before doing this
is not a usable solution.

> Changing the behavior of the halt command is
> gratuitious in our context and will only break current applications like
> kdm (part of kde) that expect the -h flag to shutdown the laptop, not
> halting it. At least could you put an option in the kernel config file
> until such applications are changed to expect the new flag?

No; such options tend to rot.  If you're really so concerned about
this, it's easier still for you to wrap shutdown in a script to do your
translation for you.