Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:27:07 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        KT Sin <ktsin@acm.org>
Cc:        Gabriel Rocha <grocha@geeksimplex.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Watching DVD's in -stable

> Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:48:14 +0800
> From: KT Sin <ktsin@acm.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> See http://www.videolan.org/. I think it's not in the ports
> collection yet and you have to build it yourself.

This looks great! Of course, importing it into the US probably is a
violation of the DMCA.

It will take some work to port it to FreeBSD as it has significant
Linuxisms. It requires GNUmake (minor issue) but then tries to include
many header files from /linux. Someone (maybe me) will have to figure
out where to get these files or what the FreeBSD replacements and
attendant massaging of the source might be.

For anyone who is familiar with the issues:
regenerating dependencies for vout_fb.c
gcc -I../../include -I../../extras  -DSYS_FREEBSD4_3   -Iinclude -Iextras -I/usr/local/include -Wall -Winline -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -O3 -ffast-math -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -march=pentium -mcpu=pentium -DPLUGIN -fPIC -c -o vout_fb.o vout_fb.c
vout_fb.c:43: linux/fb.h: No such file or directory
vout_fb.c:44: linux/vt.h: No such file or directory
vout_fb.c:45: linux/kd.h: No such file or directory
gmake[1]: *** [vout_fb.o] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/oberman/utils/vlc-0.2.80/plugins/fb'
gmake: *** [lib/fb.so] Error 2

It's quite possible that the fb module is not even relevant to
FreeBSD. Clues to what fb is in Linux appreciated.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: oberman@home.com			Phone: +1 510 486-8634