Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:15:23 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Imre Oolberg <oolberg@eenet.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to start X

Imre Oolberg wrote:

> PS Be aware the these days are X 4.x and 3.3.x in the circulation but
> their config file format is different.

Also be aware that setting too high of a security level on FBSD4.2 will
prevent X from starting. Since this is newbies-, and not questions-, I
now need to get this back on topic...

The Handbook and other high level docs that newbies are used to
consulting does not have any information on security levels and the
ramifications of setting them. Especially as it regards to X. I had
reinstalled XFree86-4.01, then went back down to 3.3.6 before I realized
the problem wasn't with X at all, only that I had unknowingly denied
myself permission to use X.

This situation should be rectified somehow.

David