Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:17:10 +0100
From:      "Paul B. Mahol" <onemda@gmail.com>
To:        Gary Dunn <knowtree@aloha.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, Saifi Khan <saifi.khan@twincling.org>, Maciej Suszko <msuszko@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: is there a laptop ?

On 3/18/09, Gary Dunn <knowtree@aloha.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 18:53 +0100, Paul B. Mahol wrote:

>> > What is the wireless chipset of your machine ?
>>
>> On mine nx7300 it is broadcom one and works fine via ndis.
>> Suspend/resume works fine if second core is disabled and vesa is
>> loaded in kernel
>> (either via kldload or via custom kernel)
>> Firewire and bluetooth are supported and should work without problems.
>> Ethernet works via if_bfe; carbus, drm, sound works fine ...
>> In short everything is supported on UP kernel except winmodem.
>>
>> There are some bugs in BIOS asl which I fixed adding:
>>
>> acpi_dsdt_load="YES"
>> acpi_dsdt_name="/boot/acpi.aml"
>>
>> in /boot/loader.conf
>>
>> /boot/acpi.aml is modified version of ASL which address "temperature
>> is absurd, ignored"
>> type of messages.
>>

>> 8.0 CURRENT i386.
>>

> Lots of interesting stuff in this thread. I am running 7.1 and Gnome
> 2.22 on a Fujitsu T1010. (More at http://wiki.openslate.net) My
> experience seems typical, most things work. Issues:
>
>     o Suspend/Resume does not work
>
>     o With powerd configured CPU speed happily throttles up and down
> automatically, greatly extending battery life
>
>     o X mouse pointer is usually a square of random noise pixels --
> looks weird but works fine

Enable soft cursor in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Option "SWcursor"      "1"
inside Device Section.

You didn't said what video driver.

>     o Built-in WiFi does not work; I use an old Orinoco Gold PC-card, wi
> driver works fine

it may work with ndisulator(ndisgen(8))

>     o Some thumb drives mount fine, some do not, some mount but do not
> unmount. They all work fine in Vista :-(
>
>     o Cannot mount a Sony PCM-D50 digital audio recorder, which works
> fine in Vista :-(
>
>     o The Linux-Wacom driver (http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/) does
> not see the built-in digitizer
>
> Apparently HEAD == 8.0 CURRENT; I may move up to that to see what is
> better. However, running CURRENT is not for the faint of heart.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Has the SMP issue with ACPI been fixed in HEAD?

Not for me, but UP still works.

> 2. How does one disable the second CPU?

"set kern.smp.disabled=1" from loader prompt or "kern.smp.disabled=1" line
in /boot/loader.conf

--
Paul