Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 19:18:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bryan Liesner <bleez@bellatlantic.net>
To:        James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORg
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.0 console switching crash

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, James McNaughton wrote:

>FWIW, I have the same thing happening on my desktop since I switched to
>a Number Nine I128 card (PCI) from  Number Nine GXE (ISA). With the old
>card I could switch back and forth between X and any terminal forever.
>Now it's crashola -- however it's just the video display that's
>crashing. The system is still running and ctrl-alt-del reboots normally
>syncing the disks etc. You may want to try that if it happens again.
>
>IMHO it's the driver and not the chipset.

I had exactly the same thing happen with XFree 4.0 also.  Try this -
while in text mode try switching between consoles with alt-f2
alt-f1. That seemed to wake up my video display without the need to
reboot.  The problem went away when I upgraded my S3 ViRGE/DX pci to
an S3 Trio 3D/2X AGP card.

On a side note, when I switch to a text screen from X 4.0, I noticed
performance started dropping rapidly.  I ran top and the X server was
just eating up cpu time.  Never had this problem with X 3.3.6 and
earlier.