Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 1997 17:19:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Marty Leisner <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, Jacques Hugo <jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: makefile howto

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Marty Leisner wrote:

> While not specifically dealing with BSD make, the GNU make manual
> is an excellent place...and gnu make is an excellent tool.

/usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/* is probably better.  GNU make and
BSD make are really two very different animals.

Actually, I'm not sure I really like the direction that GNU is
trying to take build configuration.  I would much rather see them
try and encourage a make using something similar to our
/usr/share/mk/* than try to circumvent the whole idea with huge
cumbering monstrocities named auto*.  To be fair, I'll use
autoconfig, and it's better than nothing (intended as a
compliment, not an insult), my religious differences or no.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk