Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:42:15 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "peter kok" <aoypcc@hotmail.com>
Cc:        John <papalia@udel.edu>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help about fstab

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:24:52 -0400, John wrote:

> >how do I edit the file 'fstab' which is read only now
> >I tried it chmod or mv and it did not work
>
> Perhaps try booting into single user mode, and attempt to mount your
> filesystem's manually (instead of using mount -a), and then make your
> corrections?

Boot into single user mode.  Re-mount the root partition read-write:

	mount /

Now you have a choice.  You can either fiddle /etc/fstab's permissions
such taht you can edit it properly, or you can use a text editor that
isn't fooled by permissions (like vi).  Of course, your choice of text
editor may for you to mount additional paritions.

But my guess is that you weren't re-mounting the root partition
read-write.  :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.