Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 21:00:12 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HP SureStore T20

* Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net> [20001107 20:40]: wrote regarding 'Re: HP SureStore T20'
=>On Tuesday 07 November 2000 13:39, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
=>> * svga <svga@polbox.com> [20001102 11:35]:
=>> =>Oops, I made a mistake!
=>> =>
=>> =>Is it possible to backup 20GB to a single tape (Travan 10GB native)
=>> =>using dump?
=>>
=>> If you enable compression but I've never managed to achieve that. But on
=>> this list recently someone showed how to pass the output of dump to gzip
=>> then to tape...pls try to search for it
=>>
=>>
=>> -Wash
=>
=>not sure that will help much,  there is a diminishing rate of return, try
=>compressing mp3 files for example
=>
=>but.....
=>
=>dump 0af - / | gzip -9 | dd of=/dev/rsa0 bs=10k
=>
=>was suggested by Mike Meyer

How about 'mt comp enable' OR 'mt comp on' (from mt manpage) ?? Has anyone
ever achieved that??? I've failed with it on 3.4-S and even 3.5-S but I
haven't tried it on 4.1.1 but isn't it supposed to work anyway?

Someone must have gotten that working???

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together
in the same direction. -Antoine de Saint-Exupiry