Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:47:05 +0200
From:      Matthias Teege <matthias@mteege.de>
To:        Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Server and Windows Clients

On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 03:48:03PM +0100, Richard Morte wrote:
> Hi,
Moin,

>=20
> I have been trying over the past month to set up the FreeBSD box to
> provide networking facilities to a number of PCs running Windows 95/98.
> I have lots of 'bits' working but have yet to achieve a fully usable
> system. The aims are modest:
>=20
> *   Set up a unix server to drive the local Windows network, allow=20
>     file transfers, print sharing, etc, possibly even backups if=20
>     I can find a suitable application.
> *   Provide a intranet to provide a local test-bed for clients' web=20
>     pages, run cgi scripts, etc, without having to upload to the ISP=20
>     to do this.
> *   Gateway to the Internet for the unix and win boxes.
>=20
> I have about 80% of each aspect working OK but am running into problems.
> I configure one bit, but this then impacts on other areas and I'm
> beginning to chase my own tail. I think I need a perspective on which
> bits to include, which ones to ignore and how to get everything working
> as a coherent design.
>=20
> If anyone has succesfully configured a similar system would you mind
> letting me know how you did it, which processes you run and how you
> glued the whole thing together?
>=20
> Here's what I have so far:
> 	Private network using 192.168.xxx.xxx - no problems
> 	Graphics with kde desktop - configured OK
> 	SAMBA    - working extremely well
> 	Sharity Light to mount dos shares - happy with this too
> 	DNS      - no reported errors but still problems with IP-assigned=20
>                    addresses. Still not sure about best TTL values,
> though.
> 	Modem    - working well with good connection speeds
> =18	User-ppp - OK but DNS lookups still cause unexpected dial-outs
> 		   (have disabled -auto mode temporarily)

Setup a local DNS Server and cache your providers nameserver. That works
great for me.

> 	Sendmail - still trying to access fake 10.0.0.1 address

mark the smtp mailer as expensive in your local sendmail.cf. All of the
outgoing mail will spooled in /var/spool/mqueue and you can empty it
(with sendmail -q) in a ppp.linkup script.

> 	Apache 1.3.6 (using name-virtual hosting) - works fine from within
>                    FreeBSD but wins clients can't yet access

for me it works. I think the problem is the DNS lookup. The local DNS
server may solve this problem.

> 	Firewall - I guess I need one - especially with the wins shares
>                    visible on the Unix box, but the thought of setting=20
>                    one up terrifies me.
> 	E-mail   - use Netscape to fetch own account from ISP POP server,
>                    but not sure how this will work across the gateway

use fetchmail (also in the ppp.linkup script) to fetch the mail from the
provider and forward it to the local mail system. We use a local IMAP
Server (cyrus) for Macs, Windows boxes and Unix Clients.

> for
>                    the wins clients.
>=20
> If you can provide any useful pointers, suggestions, inspiration or
> examples of how you did it I shall be eternally grateful. If anyone can
> tell me which bits of the software I definately don't need, this will be
> useful too.

all wat you want is possible and works in our environment with FreeBSD
2.2.8 and without any external software. So the chance is very good that
this will also work for you :-)

Ask me if you have a special question.

>=20
> Many thanks for your help in the past,