Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:38:00 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [amd64] System lockups still continuing

> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:20:44 -0400
> From: Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@freebsd.org>
>
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 05:32:20AM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:09:19 -0500 (CDT)
> > > From: "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>

> > > Hmm, you may be right.  Is there any workaround for this?  I've tried
> > > both SCHED_ULE and SCHED_4BSD, both producing the same results.
> > >
> > > What's strange is that this only seems to occur when either running a
> > > full-blown GNOME desktop or using some GNOME-related app under another
> > > environment.
> > >
> > > I'm currently working under KDE, just for comparison, and no such
> > > problems have occurred, unless I try using, say, Mozilla or Firefox.
> > >
> > > I'll Cc: this to current and see what they think.
> >
> > The problem is not specific to ULE or 4BSD. A fix was checked in last
> > night, so cvsup and rebuild might just fix it. Early reports are that
> > the patch resolves the problem, but the author is not sure that this is
> > a complete fix.
>
> It is not a complete fix in i386/SMP, but seems to make it harder to
> cause the lock-up.  I am not able to cause the lock-up at all simply
> by disabling PREEMPTION in src/sys/param.h.

Brian,

Thanks for the information. In my case it's i386/UP. I am currently
building a new kernel and will try it out soon. When I had the problem,
it showed up reliably in a buildworld, so I will fire off one as soon as
the new kernel is up.

I tried disabling PREEMPTION, but the system was barely usable whenever
it was running anything that was CPU intensive (such as compiling a
port), so I backed out the changes instead. While this works, it is
something I want to get away from ASAP.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)