Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:39:23 +0100
From:      John Murphy <spam-trap@freeode.co.uk>
To:        "oscar wicks" <oskr690@hotmail.com>
Cc:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: init: not found in path...panic:no init

"oscar wicks" <oskr690@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Joseph
>and  bsd guys:
>
>hello,i have a very old toshiba t4600c (386, 33Mhz, 200Mb Hd. 8 MbRAM, no
>LAN, just serial port and floppy drive.) i  supose that  that  is  enough
>for  mini install freebsd 4.10 , but everything goes fine until toshiba
>asks for  second  floppy (mfsroot.flp) loads fine until machine  says :

Hi Oscar

Check the installation notes for 4.10 at:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.10R/installation-i386.html

You'll need 16Mbytes of memory for the install and you'll need to
make a custom "pared-down" kernel to get it to run in 8Mbyte.

Also, there is much more to the installation than what is included
on the two floppies, so you'll need a modem and internet connection
on that serial port.

I'd recommend fitting your HD to another PC and install the OS and
build a custom kernel there and then fit it back in your toshiba.

We are not supposed to answer technical questions on this list as
they are all supposed to go to questions@freebsd.org where all the
experts hang out, so I've CC'd this message there including the
rest of your message below.

Good luck to you, and come back here if you want to chat about
FreeBSD newbie stuff (other than technical questions of course).

John.