Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 17:45:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Maxtor 40GB HD

After fooling around with my problem (trying to create a 40GB fs), I've
found something strange. It feels like there is a hard limit somewhere
between 27 and 27.5 GB. If I make a FS 27.5 GB large, the newfs will fail.
If it's 27 GB, it works. I don't think it's a geometry problem, as it
doesn't matter if it's the last 27 GB of the disk or the first 27 GB; both
work. But, regardless of position on the disk, I can't create a FS larger
that this limit that is somewhere between 27 and 27.5 GB. I'm guessing the
limit is number of sectors/fs, but it's easier to type in bytes than
in sectors.

This is backed up by somebody who emailed me stating that with their 27.5
GB drive, they had to leave off the last couple of sectors to get it to
work.

So, is this a bug, a kernel config, or anything you recognize?
And, anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Network Administrator               Fax 301-695-4060
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net