Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:55:47 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Subject:   Re: ${PREFIX}/etc/defaults?

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 12:05:51AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 08:10:14AM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > In contemplating building another port with a config file, I have to
> > wonder why ports don't use the same mechanism as the base system?
> > I.e. - why do I have /usr/opt/etc/healthd.conf.sample instead of
> > /usr/opt/etc/defaults/healthd.conf,
>
> Because binaries aren't flexable enough.
> Remember that everything in /etc/defaults is used by shell scripts.  So
> it is trival to test for existance and source.

Hmm maybe I'm missing something here, but..  I thought the whole point
of the *.sample conf files installed by ports was that they do NOT get
used by any binaries (and therefore, need not be customized and kept
untouched over port upgrades)?  So files in /usr/local/etc/defaults/
are just that - samples - you copy them and modify them to fit your
needs.

If you're thinking about the /etc/defaults/rc.conf - /etc/rc.conf
relationship, where /etc/defaults/rc.conf is sourced *before* /etc/rc.conf
and the 'real' file in /etc only adds deltas - no, the OP was not proposing
such a thing; rather, the kind of /etc/defaults/make.conf - /etc/make.conf
relationship, where the defaults/ file is *never* used, and serves
only as a reference to build the real config file.

G'luck,
Peter

--
This inert sentence is my body, but my soul is alive, dancing in the sparks of your brain.