Date:      Sat, 02 Feb 2008 13:48:05 +1030
From:      Wayne Sierke <ws@au.dyndns.ws>
To:        Joe Peterson <joe@skyrush.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Frequent USB mouse disconnections under load with RELENG_7

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 12:26 -0700, Joe Peterson wrote:
> Wayne Sierke wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 01:59 +1030, Wayne Sierke wrote:
> >> I'm getting a lot of USB mouse disconnects on RELENG_7. I wondered
> >> whether they might have been due to running with a KTR-enabled kernel
> >> but in just the last 7 hours I've been running on stock GENERIC and
> >> they're still happening.
>
> Hey Wayne,
>
> I'm not sure if you associating the disconnects with the "jerky mouse"
> behavior, but as an added datapoint, I have a PS/2 mouse, I see *no*
> disconnects in the system logs (well, it's PS/2...), and I still get the
> jerky mouse...

Hi Joe,

I've found the disconnects to be quite easily distinguishable from
general mouse "jerkiness" as instances of the former are quite long, in
the order of 2 seconds or so and also such a "complete" disabling
compared to the shorter impairment of mouse cursor movement I experience
during the latter.

I have also at times set up a small terminal window
tailing /var/log/messages so that I could monitor the disconnect
messages in real time. I hold no doubts at all about being able to
recognise when one of these disconnections occurs.

Out of interest I just examined the messages written when I manually
disconnect the mouse and they're identical to what's written during one
of these events. As per my other message to Jeremy I'll see what
transpires after I remove my moused configuration from /etc/rc.conf.

Wayne