Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 10:22:55 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>
Cc:        George.Giles@mcmail.vanderbilt.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs build of 4.1.1

Artem Koutchine wrote:

> read the handbook included in the disribution (or on www.freebsd.org)
> from there you will know how to setup cvsup and how to actually
> cvsup the sources. After this you will have the sources for all of the
> system
> in /usr/src

You might also look at
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/cvsup.html

You also need to read /usr/src/UPDATING. The current set of
instructions on upgrading/updating your system are on this file. It
can be updated when you cvsup your sources.

> (full sources about 100M, i think).

It looks like it is 326MB on my system but that also includes the two
kernel sources (GENERIC and my real one).

> The do:
> reboot in single mode
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
> (wait for 1.5-3 hours)
> make buildkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_NAME
> (if it complains, then fix you kernel config)
> make installkernel
                     ^^^ KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_NAME
You also need the name to install on the installkernel. If you leave
it off, I think you get GENERIC but I don't depend on guesses. When
you get through all of this, you may find you don't need to go into
single user mode. In his /usr/src/UPDATING, Warner mentions that the
boot to single user mode may not be necessary and it works on all
three of my system.

Kent

> reboot in signle mode again
> cd /usr/src