Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 09:55:22 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        Mike Allison <mallison@konnections.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.kiev.ua>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: teTeX, latex, Lyx Books

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Mike Allison wrote:

> The TeXBook is good for understanding about TeX sorta like the Boeing
> 767 owners manual would be good for pilots.  Sometimes the forest is
> lost for the trees.....

Haven't read the 767's pilot's manual, but aircraft manuals in general are
surprisingly readable and useful.

> Not to knock the book, nor the author, you just need a couple of decades
> to work everything out....

If you know the basics, you can actually learn to fly a certain aircraft
after reading for about an hour, at most... I wouldn't try it, but it's
very unlike learning a complex software package.

> -Mike
>
> Greg Lehey wrote:
> >

> > The one I (still sometimes) use is "TeX for the impatient", by Paul
> > Abrahams.  I still don't think it's the perfect book on TeX, but it'll
> > save you the hair-tearing frustration engendered bythe TeXbook.
> >
> > Greg

Nadav