Date:      Fri, 06 Jun 1997 16:57:30 -0500
From:      Scott Lystig Fritchie <fritchie@MR.Net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   One reason to mmap() block devices

To follow-up to my earlier question about why only regular and
character files are mmap()able...

... I'm interested in mmap()ing a disk block device.  I've been doing
some alternative INN development, bypassing the traditional filesystem
for article storage, using instead a few very large files as cyclic
buffers.

Currently under FreeBSD, these 2GB files are on top of a UFS
filesystem.  Under Solaris I use the disk partitions' block devices
directly to bypass the filesystem overhead.  I hadn't tried, until
very recently, to use block devices under FreeBSD, and that's when I
made my surprise discovery.

I'm quite interested, actually, in having the OS interfere with its
buffer cache.  Under Solaris, INN article acceptance rates using disk
character devices is only handful per second, and the drive sounds
like automatic rifle fire.  With disk block devices, throughput can
reach over 200 articles/second, and the drive busy light blinks every
now and then.

I do have a non-critical machine I could test out a simple mod to
allow VREG, VCHR, or VBLK type files ... but I figured I'd ask, just
in case there might be something which I wouldn't notice if the
machine weren't heavily stressed, for example while doing my testing.
:-)

-Scott
---
Scott Lystig Fritchie, Network Engineer          MRNet Internet Services, Inc.
fritchie@mr.net, PGP key #152B8725               Minnesota Regional Network
v: 612/362.5820, p: 612/637.9547                 2829 University Ave SE
http://www.mr.net/~fritchie/                     Minneapolis, MN  55414