Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2006 14:30:22 GMT
From:      Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/94896: Where support VESA Modes for AMD64 kernel ?

The following reply was made to PR amd64/94896; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org>
To: Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc: hhc@tut.by,  bug-followup@FreeBSD.ORG,  freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 00:21:53 +1000

 Oliver Fromme wrote:

 >Andrei <hhc@tut.by> wrote:
 > >
 > > > Number:         94896
 > > > Category:       amd64
 > > > Synopsis:       Where support VESA Modes for AMD64 kernel ?
 > > > Confidential:   no
 > > > Severity:       serious
 > > Where support VESA Modes for AMD64 kernel?
 >
 >It's not possible to support it.
 >
 > > Why "options VESA" not worked  for AMD64?
 >
 >Because FreeBSD/amd64 cannot perform calls to the VESA BIOS
 >functions (which are 32bit i386 code, not amd64).
 >
 > > How make videomode 1280x1024 or another?
 >
 >I recommend you use Xorg for that.  Otherwise, if you
 >absolutely need VESA modes, you have to install 32bit
 >FreeBSD/i386.
 >
 > > Why only one mode 80x25 available?
 >
 >Actually I think 80x50 should be possible with vidcontrol(1),
 >which is a standard mode that does not require VESA BIOS.
 >
 >Best regard
 >

 >   Oliver

 I don't want to sound like a complainer but there must still technically
 be a console based hi-res mode for AMD64 because I saw such a high res
 mode when I tried out Gentoo on my laptop.
 I decided I didn't like Gentoo but aside from that point it proves that
 some how its possible for hi-res console even if no such code exists on
 FreeBSD AMD64.

 Mike