Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 09:38:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Grosch <joeg@interaccess.com>
To:        steve2@freefall.cdrom.com (Steve Gerakines)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PCI/EISA/ISA performance

[ DELETED ]

>On the same note 1Gb hard drive prices have plummeted recently and I
>had my eye on a Seagate ST-31200N (SCSI-2) for around $500.  Anyone
>have any comments on the drive?  I ditched all my seagate drives
>years ago because they seemed to have some quality problems so I'm
>kind of hesitant to go back.

I have a ST-31200N in my FreeBSD machine. I bought it in Feb. of 94
and paid $725.00 for it :-(. I installed FreeBSD 1.1 on it when I
bought it and it has been running continuously since then. It is
currently running the 950322 snap without any trouble. I have found
the ST-31200N to be a solid, reliable drive. I would recomend it to
anyone.

>OH!  Any trouble mixing my existing SCSI-1 with a SCSI-2 on the same
>ribbon?

If your controller card was SCSI-2 and the devices were a mixture of
SCSI-1 and SCSI-2, my guess would be that you should be ok. I'm sure
that if I am wrong, I will br corrected. :-)

>- Steve
>steve2@genesis.tiac.net

Josef

--