Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 08:49:36 -0600
From:      vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu (Kevin Van Maren)
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Lots 'o PCI slots

Anyone can find 5 PCI slots.  Here is my list of dual motherboards with
7+ (6 or more plus integrated PCI too) PCI slots.

Note that I'm not intending to promote www.interpromicro.com; prices
are just given as a convenience for comparison.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboards/pentium%20pro/p6dnh.htm
Dual Pentium Pro, I2O
8 PCI
$669 from interpromicro

http://www.micronics.com/products/m6dpi.html
Dual Pentium Pro, I2O
7 PCI with Adaptec 7880
$719 from interpromicro

http://www.ami.com/motherboards/s758spec.html
Dual Pentium II
6 PCI with dual NCR875 controllers, 2MB ATI video
(Not yet shipping)

There are also numerous dual SBC computers that will work with a 7+
slot passive backplane.  Additionally, many of the higher-end servers
have 6 or more PCI slots.

The first two are I2O.  The dedicated i960 processor is intended to
improve PCI performance by offloading tasks from the main CPU.  But
I doubt FreeBSD will support I2O within a year or two.

The AMI board looks nice, except (forgive me if I'm wrong) that the
Symbios875's aren't supported in FreeBSD.  They will work, but just
like an 825.  (Local script memory isn't used, and they won't negotiate
ultra speeds).  It is also likely to be very $$$ because it is AMI.

Kevin