Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:26:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        /dev/null@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer Thinkpads

> > FWIW, the "recovery procedure" they allude to is to use their
> > recovery CDROM, which will basically repartition and reinstall the
> > default software that came with the machine.  I'll guess that they
> > don't recommend specific recovery instructions (and refer only to
> > "various utilities") as a hold harmless measure, since the
> > recovery CD will effectively blow away any user data on the drive,
> > and they don't want to be held responsible for that.
>
> Actually, the "recovery procedure" involves removing the harddisk, since
> the BIOS code in question that fails does so before the boot process
> starts, and with a FreeBSD partition on the disk, you never get to boot
> at all.
>
> This has been discussed on -mobile already, and any interested party is
> encouraged to consult the archives.

I think this presumes that the HD is examined at boot time,
instead of stopping once the system sees a bootable CDROM,
which is the normal case when doing a recovery.

You should talk to Evan Oldford (evan@whistle.com, eoldford@us.ibm.com)
about his experiences recovering with the recovery CDROM, after
having trashed several models of thinkpads with FreeBSD installs
gone wrong.

Obviously, you could also recover by removing the hard drive
and zapping it, but the technical note referred to by the
original author of this subject specifically states that there
are utilities that can recover the HDD to a bootable state:

	"The HDD can be recovered to make the system bootable
	 again using various utilities. However, IBM does not
	 recommend any specific utility or support the use of
	 any of these utilities."

I think the "magic" combo to force it to ignore the HDD is
something like "Alt-F6" during boot, but don't quote me: it's
printed in the ThinkPad manual that comes with each ThinkPad.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.