Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 2014 06:30:14 +0100
From:      Ben Morrow <ben@morrow.me.uk>
To:        gmx@ross.cx, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Forcing pkg

Quoth "Michael Ross" <gmx@ross.cx>:

> >> Is there any equivalent to "pkg_add --force"?
> >
> > cd /tmp
> > mkdir tempdir
> > cd tempdir
> > tar xf mypkg.txz
> >
> > and move those extracted stuff to the place where it's needed.
>
> That's hardly equivalent.
>
> I'm all for pkg, don't get me wrong.
> With poudriere it looks very promising.
>
> I'd like it to have a "just install this and don't mind anything"-option.
> For doing quick and dirty stuff.

I suspect that would break the database, which, because it's now SQL,
would matter a lot more than before. What you can do is

    tar -xf $pkg +MANIFEST
    vi ./+MANIFEST
    tar -cf nomanifest --exclude +MANIFEST @$pkg
    tar -cJf $newpkg +MANIFEST @nomanifest

This isn't exactly easy, but I'm not sure this is something which should
be easy.

Ben