Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 1995 12:37:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, tb@MO.NET, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystems corrupted - what's up with this?

> > Are you using msdos FS in read/write mode?
>
> Sounds like what I get when I mount an msdosfs in ANY mode (read/write OR
> read-only) on my 2.0.5-RELEASE system (I haven't been brave enough to try
> it ont the 2.1.0-mumble-SNAP system I have access to).  It seemed to be
> related, somehow, to having used FIPS to shrink my DOS partitions to make
> room for a real OS.  From discussions I've seen, it seems to be a problem
> in the FreeBSD msdosfs (as opposed to FIPS) - mounting the DOS partitions
> seems to work just dandy from DOS/Windows, Windows NT and Linux.

Well, DOS/Windows and Windows NT don't have real caches when using the
FAT FS.  Linux has 1k blocks on reading.

It really does look to be FIPS related, which is an important clue,
since the FAT size dictates the writable disk area.

I'm betting that your FAT FS is before your BSD FS on the same disk?

Like I said in another message, I will rewrite this at some time in
the future if someone else doesn't get to it first.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.