Date:      Wed, 07 Jul 1999 01:58:14 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improved libcrypt ready for testing

    ,
> and

> value).

Say... you wouldn't like to impliment an NT-style password hash, would you?
*NOT* the LAN-Manager (LAN-damager?) hash with the 2 chunks of 7 characters
weak method that gets decoded in what seems like seconds according to
bugtraq.  The NT hash is 128 character etc.  It's also unicode and not case
sensitive, but that shouldn't be a problem to implement.

The reason I ask is that there are a number of protocols that have this
embedded in it, including PPP's MS-CHAP and SMB.  Samba has to have a
seperate password file with NT-style password hashes to authenticate with
Win98 clients etc.  There's a few examples of this hash method in the
source tree, both ppp's have it for starters.

Cheers,
-Peter