Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:45:42 -0500
From:      Dave Glowacki <dglo@SSEC.WISC.EDU>
To:        sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
Cc:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>, "M.C Wong" <mcwong@hotmail.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for PalmPilot ?

> "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, M.C Wong wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know if there is any development for *BSD for Palm Pilot ?
> > > Apparently, there is a Linux port already, but I really like to run
> > > *BSD on it instead.

> > From what I've seen, most of the tools seem to be fairly unix-generic,
> > except for one program that syncs the Pilot calendar with the CDE
> > calendar.
>
> Believe it or not, he means what he asks--a port of the OS to the palm
> pilot.  The Linux/palmpilot port came out a few months ago, I think.
>
> What do people actually *do* with this?  How do you run emacs without
> a keyboard?

The main web page is at http://ryeham.ee.ryerson.ca/uClinux/

According to that site, they've got a kernel running, but it only runs
hand-crafted programs right now.  The "Status" page says:

  As of Feb 25 1998

  The kernel boots on both the XCopilot emulator and on real PalmPilots
  with a TRG memory board. A patch kit agaist linux-2.0.33 is here.

  You will need to build and install a complete cross toolchain for m68k-coff
  in order to build the kernel. User programs need an m68k-pic-coff
  toolchain, a first pass of a set of patches against gcc-2.7.2.2 is here.
  Binaries of both toolchains are also available on the FTP site.

  Everything is still pre Alpha, so consider yourself warned. There has been
  some work done on the user space compiler and libc, but much more needs to
  be done. Right now, we have most of libc, but bugs still remain. User space
  support is getting better every day, but some parts are slow going. The
  serial driver for the 68328 (the microcontroller used in the PalmPilot)
  is working quite well, and there is support for the PalmPilot LCD as a
  console display.