Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:45:58 -0800
From:      Frankie Li <notme@lvdi.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   fsck aborted with segamentation fault. Computer refuse to mount

Hi,
  I have just rebooted my server with
FreeBSD 3.2 Release as part of the
maintaince.  However, as it reboot, it
was not able to mount the filesystem.
In addition it gave me 2 error message,
exactly as following:

pid 17 (swapon),uid 0: exited on signal 11
segamentation fault
automatic reboot is in process
pid 19 (fsck), uid 0: exited on signal 11
segamentation fault
unknown error in reboot

my system configuration is:
ccd0 with a 4.1GB (of a 6.4 GB harddrive
and 4.1GB harddrive and mounted as /home
1.2 GB (of the the 6.4GB harddrive) in /usr
128MB as swap
70MB as /

I was not able to further do fsck, and fsck
under FIXIT gave me an error also.  It asked
me to give it a specific block to fix.

Application running on my server is smbd and
nmbd.

I have rebooted once, then there was an error
in fstab.  I re-edited it, and the result is
status quo.

I have tried mounting each partion, although they
are marked clean, mount gave me the same
segamentation error.

I have tried running fsck -y <filesystem>, same
errors occured

Any suggestion will be appreciated.  Thank you
in advance.

Frankie