Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:06:08 -0700
From:      "David C. Myers" <myers@aedifice.net>
To:        Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: em0: watchdog timeout -- resetting (6.1-STABLE)

> watchdogs mean that the transmit ring is not being cleaned, so the
> question is what is your machine doing at 100% cpu, if its that busy
> the network watchdogs may just be a side effect and not the real
> problem?

I get them with a completely idle machine.  My home directory is mounted
via NFS (from FreeBSD 6.1 on an amd64 machine), and with the kernel from
earlier this week, the machine would just hang for 30 seconds to a
couple of minutes.  A slew of "watchdog timeout" messages would appear.
  Then I'd get a moment's responsiveness out of the machine, then
another long wait, then a moment's responsiveness, then a long wait...

The machine would never recover from this cycle (at least, so far as I
was patient enough to wait).

Going back to a kernel dated late July resolved everything.

Someone else asked me for the hardware version of my em0 board...

em0@pci2:10:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x002e8086 chip=0x100e8086 rev=0x02
hdr=0x00    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
     device   = '82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
     class    = network
     subclass = ethernet

-David.