Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:41:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/vm vm_map.c vm_map.h vm_pageout.c

<<On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:51:15 -0800, David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.org> said:

> A real problem is that a swapped out process' uarea has to be
> paged back in, even when no memory is available.  I don't think
> there's an easy way around that, given that you need the uarea and
> kernel stack to handle the signal.

But you don't, actually -- at least not to ``handle'' a SIGKILL.  In
that case, you should be able to simply destroy the process and free
whatever swap it has been allocated without ever giving it control.
So is the issue that we don't want to send SIGKILL too aggressively,
and send some other signal to give the process a chance to exit
gracefully?

-GAWollman