Date:      Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:17:28 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
Cc:        fbsd-ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gamin vs fam

--------------enig528A28AA7FA14E3FF0FE5ED1

dick hoogendijk schrieb:
> Upgrading my ports collection I noticed a lot of ports that wanted to
> install gamin. This didn't work though, cause files are installed at
> the same place as FAM (already installed on my system as a dep of
> courier).
>=20
> Running pkgdb -F everytime is not pleasant. What is (are) the advantage=

> (s) of gamin over fam? Is it wise to change to gamin?

The recent change of the USE_FAM default was done without proper testing
- others have already reported problems with gamin, especially in the
case of courier-imap.

You can however avoid the pkgdb -F dance (if you compile from ports):
Set WITH_FAM_SYSTEM=3Dfam in /etc/make.conf - this will change the defaul=
back to fam.

Cheers,
--=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org