Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:54:12 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Downloading RTSP stream?

b. f. <bf1783@googlemail.com> wrote:

> >Do we have something in the ports tree that can read an RTSP stream
> >where mplayer fails?
>
> I think that multimedia/vlc will play such streams, although I have
> not used it for this purpose.  I think that both vlc and mplayer use

Alas, I'm not interested in playing the stream live.  I want to
capture it into a file for later viewing.

> parts of net/liveMedia to handle these streams, and this specialized
> port comes with a simple command-line client, openRTSP, which will
> enable you to dump the stream to a file or pipe it to another player:

Yes, this looks promising.
Hmm.
Plain openRTSP creates separate audio and video files.  I don't
think this is useful for later playing.  mplayer doesn't find
anything in the output of openRTSP -4 (or -q).

> You may want to try this first.  Are you sure that the problem is with
> the client, and not with the server?

QuickTime on Mac OS X can play the stream.

They also offer an MMS stream for Windows users.  I can successfully
capture that with mplayer -dumpstream, but I'd prefer MP4 over WMV.
Just because.