Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2011 15:13:45 -0600
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-sysinstall@freebsd.org, grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installer Roadmap

On 02/22/11 11:14, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:26:33 am Nathan Whitehorn wrote:

>>> Actually, you can do that if you are a bit creative (add a few more tools to
>>> the mfsroot, and use the 'system' command in install.cfg to invoke a shell
>>> script that then generates a foo.cfg you later include via loadConfig, but
>>> I've covered that at multiple conferences by now).  That said, I'm hopeful
>>> that the new installer will be more flexible in less hackish ways while
>>> letting you do things like PXE boot to a shell where you can use mfiutil to
>>> create a RAID-5 volume and then invoke the installer on that, etc.
>>
>> This is something that I very explicitly built in to the design of
>> bsdinstall. When the installer starts (as well as at several other
>> points), you are offered an option to bring up a shell specifically to
>> do things like this. Scripted installs are just shell scripts instead of
>> a configuration file, so it is trivial to interleave complicated things
>> like this.
>
> Yes, I should have worded it a bit differently in that I do actually think
> that is true from what little I have seen and the "hopeful" bit more refers
> to my being able to adopt it locally.

Ah, understood.

Speaking of which, there is a new amd64 snapshot ISO with bsdinstall on
it (an i386 ISO should follow in the next day or so):
http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/bsdinstall-amd64-20110222.iso.bz2

This is more or less the planned final form of the installer and layout
of the install media, so I would very much appreciate testing at this
point. Pending a small patch to the distributeworld target currently
under review, this will be followed by patches to the release Makefile
to change the default installer to bsdinstall in -CURRENT. Barring any
objections, I hope to have that second patch in the tree by mid-March.
-Nathan