Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:52:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com, des@ofug.org, freebsd@KIWI-Computer.com, Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removal of Disklabel

As I recall, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> "c" doesn't have to be the entire disk, though IMO one would be a fool
> to fool around with it.  FreeBSD is quite forgiving if you don't have
> a partition that starts at the start of the disk because you can
> always use the "parent" device node to access it.  Under some vendor
> UNIXen, you don't have that luxury.  I agree in a BSD world "c" should
> be the entire disk or fdisk partition.  In a SYSV world, slice "2"
> should be the entire disk.

Again, on our SysV Pyramids, the whole disk is slice 7.  Back when
Pyramids ran a kludged 4.2BSD it was slice "h" (still the seventh
slice).  These, like "c" in FreeBSD, are by convention.  You can
move things around if you like; the kernel doesn't care.  But there
are a lot of userland programs, mostly the ones you find documented
in the 1M section of the SysV man pages and section 8 of the BSD man
pages, that will do surprising things if you don't follow that
convention.

Solaris, which also claims to be SysV (in some goofy definition of
"claims") sticks us with not enough slices.

I think we should put this to rest by saying, "It's platform
dependent" and leave it at that.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net