Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 10:34:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "James R. Shrenk" <dionysos3@crosswinds.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Joachim.Jaeckel@arcor.net
Subject:   Re: AGP Riva TNT slower than PCI Matrox Mystique 220 (X-Windows)?

Some things to look for:

1) check the AGP aperture size in your system BIOS.  Roughly, I believe
this determines the amount of system memory for the AGP card to tunnel
through.  I have mine set to 32M (out of 64M total memory)

2) check the rest of your BIOS settings.  I didn't have a difficult time
getting the card to run in FreeBSD per se, but I did manage to destroy
windows a few times trying to get my TNT working there.  We finally went
to the BIOS and played around with things like the video shadow
(disabling) and got it working better.

3) If you can, check the card in another machine; maybe it's bad anyway

4) can you give a little more detail about what you mean that it is slow?
I'm not sure that an accelerated X server is going to help you much if
this is actually a configuration issue.

James