Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 20:39:08 +0200
From:      Bengt Gorden <bengan@sunet.se>
To:        beatteam@austasia.net, FreeBSD -Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MTU Size  & Connection reset by.. & Lost Input channel

On Sat, Sep 12, 1998 at 02:21:36PM +1000, Brett Gray wrote:

> b) I read something on the net about MTU size.  What is MTU (I cant find
> any
> explaination of the term..  just references to it) Is the above problem
> likely to be something to do with MTU size and where can I adjust this
> setting in FreeBSD

MTU = Maximum Transmission Unit

It's the largest link layer datagram that can be used for a particular
network. If you try to send a IP datagram that is larger than the MTU
it's going to be fragmented. Different types of networks have
different MTU:s. Here are a few of them:

FDDI              4352
Ethernet          1500
IEEE 802.3/802.2  1492
X.25               576 (Ah, there we have an ugly one)

--

/Bengan