Date:      Tue, 22 May 2007 07:37:11 +0200
From:      "Lars Wittebrood" <lars@socruel.nu>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org
Subject:   RE: Xorg upgrade & portmaster

=20

Lire
> > port) and run into the following message after trying to update it=20
> > with
> portmaster:
> >
> > =3D=3D=3D>>> Dependency check complete for x11/xorg-libraries
> >
> > =3D=3D=3D>  Cleaning for xorg-libraries-7.2
> > Read /usr/ports/UPDATING for the procedure to upgrade to xorg 7.2.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/x11/xorg-libraries.
> >
> > =3D=3D=3D>>> make failed for x11/xorg-libraries =3D=3D=3D>>> =
Aborting update

> > After reading /usr/ports/UPDATING I thought well just try what it=20
> > says, so I issued the command setenv XORG_UPGRADE yes as root and
then=20
> > did a portmaster xorg-libraries. This update went fine.

> That's *not* "just what it says."  It says that the directions are for
portupgrade only, and for other tools you > need to get an upgrade path
from the author of the tool.  Furthermore, in the message to which you
are following > up, the author of portmanager said that his advice was
not to use portmanager for this upgrade yet, and if you > > wanted to
use it anyway, to start by removing all your ports and building them
over.

> >                                                   After that I
issued=20
> > the command sh /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/mergebase.sh as the UPDATING

> > file says but it didn't make any sense to me.

> What, exactly, didn't make any sense to you?  Your description does
not allow me to guess what the actual > > > symptoms were.

> The main purpose of running that script is to replace /usr/X11R6 with
a symlink.  If you are still getting the > above error on attempting to
build x11/xorg-libraries, then this did not happen.  It is not clear to
me from your > description whether this is the case or not.

> > If you need any more detailed information on this please feel free
to=20
> > ask. I have another system for which I have to this also, but it's a

> > 6.1 system.

> The best step is probably to go back and read Doug Barton's message
again.  There was a lot of information in > there that may help you
figure out a way forward.

> The information that people will need to help you more directly is the
specific details of "I do this, then the > system does that."  However,
since there isn't yet any recommended upgrade method using portmaster,
and its > author says he is actively working on it to teach it to handle
this situation, waiting for him is my advice to > most portmaster users.
> You have probably confused your ports database extensively, and to get
back to a fully working system may >require uninstalling a lot of ports
and building them back up.

> Good luck.

The only message I wanted to give/bring was that I was able to upgrade
the xorg-libraries port with with portmanager and I described how I did
it.

Cheers,
Lars.