Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 21:40:54 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        branson@widomaker.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AIC 7770 ?

>  I just got an HP Netserver to use as our mail/web/ftp/proxy server.
>  It has a built on AIC 7770. I am wondering if I can use this scsi
>  controller or should just go buy a NCR scsi controller and call it a
>  day.
>
>  I have read the RELNOTES and such... and see that the aha-27x are
>  supported, and somone told me here that the 7770 is the same thing as
>  the 27x series (its obviously not...  but one can hope).  Can someone
>  clear this up for me?

Well, the aic7xxx driver in 2.1.5-RELEASE (and subsequent) supports
the 274x, 284x, 294x, and 3940 host adapters, and the 7850, 7860,
7770, 7870, and 7880 built-in controllers (in all flavors of Twin,
Wide, and Ultra).

There is a known conflict with the 7770 and the uha driver.  Disable
the uha driver if the 7770 isn't detected by the GENERIC kernel.
I've also seen mentioned that the most EISA slots configured into
the GENERIC FreeBSD kernel is 11 and that some HP Netservers can
have more than 11 EISA slots.  This can also cause the 7770 to not
be detected by FreeBSD.  I just checked the source code, the maximum
number of EISA slots looks to be 10, not 11.  You can raise this
to a higher number by changing EISA_SLOTS in sys/i386/eisa/eisaconf.h.

Please, someone correct me if I've got this wrong.  Thanks.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org