Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 20:09:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        ken@stox.pr.mcs.net (Kenneth P. Stox)
Cc:        taob@io.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HSM for FreeBSD?, was Re: Who wants a DPT SCSI controller driver?

        ^
	^----- exactly ;-)

> > Hmm. 3Tb? Then somebody should go and write a HSM application to control
> > a tape robot..
> >
> > Could do some testing on our 260+ cartridge DLT library (soon to be
> > able to hold 260+ * 40Gb ;-)
>
> Funny you should mention this. I recently picked up an Exabyte 10i robot, and
> have been pondering this very point. Is there anyone else in the FreeBSD
> community who has any interest in HSM systems ?

> Ken Stox					ICBMnet: 41:48:8N 88:3:26W

Back to the 3Tb:

Today I built a stripe set of 7*4.3Gb. I have this nice little raidbox
sitting in my lab at work and wanted to give it a try with a big filesystem.

So, I hooked it up to a spare 486/33 with a Adaptec 1740. Used 2.1R
No luck there, it looks like the ahb driver does not 'see' it on boot.

Second attempt, hooked it up to a Adaptec 1542B that also serves the boot
disk. Found it!

OK, disklabel and newfs. 1 hour and 20 minutes later I had this 28+ Gb
filesystem... Only problem sofar: 'df' reports a negative 'avail' number.
Percentage is also -0% (noi typo). I'll try to find out why this happens.

Any known problems with disks this big?

When it comes to big 'disks' I can currently make them up to 14*4.3Gbyte
in size... (Need to steal most of the 4.3Gb disks from my colleagues
but what the h*k)

Wilko