Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 17:53:21 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: State of Alpha support and Oracle.

> I am not sure of thw state of things but if someone wanted to run Oracle-8
> and had an idea in their mind that they'd like to run it in an Alpha,
> tehn teh following questions would need to be answered (and I dont know
> the answers)
>
> 1/ does FreeBSD-alpha support SMB

Samba works just fine.  But I suspect that you meant "SMP", and the
answer there is "no".

> 2/ is there a binary version of Oracle we can run on the alpha?

The Tru64 version _might_ work.

> 3/ does the alpha give a big increase in speed over the same dollars spent
> on x86?

Not under Oracle at the low end, no.

If all you want is an oracle-like database however, I would recommend
that you look at Linter (www.relcom.ru, IIRC).  OCI-compatible, and much,
much cheaper.