Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:16:08 +0100 (BST)
From:      "Dominic Marks" <dom@helenmarks.co.uk>
To:        "Brian Doherty" <brian@icecomms.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Latitude D510

Brian Doherty wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a bit of a newbie, with 5.x and hope someone can help me.

:-) Here goes ...

> I have a dell Latitude D510 with the mist recent BIOS installed.
> I have win XP factory installed, boots fine.
> I have tried installing the following on a partition:
>
> 5.4 FreeBSD
> 	BTX Halted and goes no further straight after the install option screen,
> ie
> 1 - FreeBSD, 2 - FreeBSD without ACPI

Tried booting without ACPI? I have quite a few machines at work which do
this, mostly old(ish) PII/PIII systems with low-quality motherboards.

> 5.3 FreeBSD
> 	Gets a little further, but drops out on a panic, while trying to load the
> usb devices, I think
>
> 4.11 FreeBSD
> 	Same as 5.3
> 4.10 FreeBSD
> 	Same as 4.10

Try the 6.0 BETA3, it's not too scary, but you will want to recompile your
kernel after you install (assuming it works) to get decent performance
(hint: remove the debugging options). If you haven't done this don't
worry, it isn't complicated and is well covered in the Handbook.

If the USB problem comes back, you can still work around it, although it
may be challenging for someone new to FreeBSD. However, you will learn
quite a bit in the process!

Assuming you have a spare machine lying around, or another FreeBSD box
already, you can compile your own kernel, removing the USB bits and then
modify the ISO image file replacing the stock kernel with your own one.
This isn't actually as hard as it might sound :-) You can mount the ISO
image (using mdconfig and mount_cd9660) then copy your USB-less kernel
over the one on the CD, then burn a copy of the ISO file again and it will
have your own special-purpose install CD (haven't tried this but I think
it will work, the kernel on the CD is not 'special' as far as I know).

If this all sounds far too complex for you, I can probably make you the CD
described above as I have a D510 here (which I'm typing from) although
it's not running FreeBSD and I won't be fully test the install (it's not
really mine).

Try the simpler options first, and if not, send the list another E-Mail
and see what comes your way.