Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2002 15:18:26 +0100
From:      Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Memory test?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lowell Gilbert" <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To: "Mark" <admin@asarian-host.net>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 1:47 PM

> Mark <admin@asarian-host.net> writes:
>
> > I just did a makeshift memory stress test on a new machine; that is,
> > I did a "make buildworld". Regrettably, it failed, saying it had a
syntax
> > error somewhere. :(
> >
> > So, I ran it again; and this time it went fine; then I reinstalled
> > FreeBSD 4.7 altogether, and rebuilt world again. And, again,
> > no problems.
> >
> > This is a bit worrysome. Does FreeBSD even notice bad memory?
> > Would the kernel put a message in /var/log/messages? It did not
> > show anything there when buildworld failed.
>
> I'm not sure what you're getting at.  You've seen just one failure,
> and it is of a type that is highly unlikely to be memory-related.

Au contraire; a syntax error in a "make buildworld" that cannot be repeated
when issued again is almost always indicative of a memory error --
especially with a new out of box FreeBSD 4.7R -- and is generally considered
a good memory stress test.

I was rightly alerted to a memory error. I ran Memtest86, suggested by a
list-member here, and indeed, one of the Kingston 512M DIMM's was acting up.
I did some research; and Kingston memory appears to have known issues with
the ASUS A7V333 board.

I switched the DIMM with another computer, and now both run faultless again.

- Mark