Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:26:38 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing mksh in base

On January 25, 2019 11:14:23 AM PST, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD=2Eorg> wrote=
:
>On 1/25/19 11:07 AM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>>> As to replacing root's shell, replacing tcsh is a large POLA
>violation=2E
>>=20
>> It will not replace in existing installation just make it the default
>in new installation I can t see how this is a POLA violation if it is
>in new setup on new major version (upgrades won t be affacted)
>
>I'm mostly struggling to find a reason to care what is in root's
>/etc/passwd
>line, but aside from that, for people who use mergemaster or etcupdate,
>it
>will try to merge the new shell during an upgrade of an existing
>system=2E
>Granted, if you have an actual root password set the line will be a
>conflict, but it's not strictly true to say that existing installs
>wouldn't
>be affected=2E
>=20
>>> Maybe give users the option at install time instead=2E=20
>>=20
>> Doable, unsure it is worth it but yes we can do that if that is asked
>a lot
>
>I think we should avoid the tendency to add new questions to the
>install if=20
>we can avoid it=2E  I often see this mentioned for potential POLA-type
>changes
>and I think there are two issues: 1) it doesn't address upgrades, and
>2) we
>should keep a streamlined install process as much as possible IMO=2E  If
>we
>start piling up a bunch of extra questions during the install it will
>just
>make users' eyes glaze over=2E

I'm willing to concede what shell root uses by default part of this thread=
=2E

--=20
Pardon the typos and autocorrect, small keyboard in use=2E
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy=2ESchubert@cschubert=2Ecom>
FreeBSD UNIX: <cy@FreeBSD=2Eorg> Web: http://www=2EFreeBSD=2Eorg

	The need of the many outweighs the greed of the few=2E