Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:08:46 -0800
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Andrew Thompson <andy@fud.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jailing a 4.7 environment on 5.0?

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:56:40PM +1300, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 13:52, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 04:19:31PM -0800, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > > Is is possible to set up a jail that contains 4.7 on
> > > a 5.0 system?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> But doesnt a jail share the same kernel?   (I have never set one up so I
> dont know what I am talking about :)

Yes, it does use the same kernel.  If you read the jail(8)
man page, it discusses setting up a jail on a 4.x system.
The first section contains

     This example shows how to setup a jail directory tree containing an
     entire FreeBSD distribution:

     D=/here/is/the/jail
     cd /usr/src
     mkdir -p $D
     make world DESTDIR=$D
     cd etc
     make distribution DESTDIR=$D
     cd $D/dev
     sh MAKEDEV jail
     cd $D
     ln -sf dev/null kernel

Clearly, this doesn't work on a 5.0 system if you want to
set up a 4.7 jail.

--
Steve