Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:03:27 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Dave <kreios@gmail.com>
Cc:        gnn@freebsd.org, performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS Performance Numbers

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 08:56:27AM -0500, Dave wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2006, at 4:50 AM, gnn@freebsd.org wrote:
>=20
> >At Tue, 24 Oct 2006 21:59:57 -0500,
> >kreios@gmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >>I am running some performance tests on named to see how it performs
> >>with different configurations on FreeBSD and figured I would share =20
> >>the
> >>first results.  The first tests are  for serving up static data.
> >
> >Thanks very much for this!
> >
> >Can we possible see a dmesg output as well, just for completeness?
>=20
> Here you go:

There are a couple of things you could try to increase performance -
they're probably all documented on the mysql tuning page.  One thing
you could do would be to set:

kern.timecounter.choice=3DTSC
kern.timecounter.smp_tsc=3D1

which is usually an optimization on the machines where the hardware
supports it.

I'd be interested in measuring and optimizing for this workload but I
have no idea how to set it up (my time is also limited for the next
few weeks).  If you're interested in e.g. giving me access to your
test setup then we could try to work something out.

Kris

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/--