Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 17:15:14 -0400
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   newbie to cvs needs help

Hello,

I've scoured the archives and read whatever I can find on the web but
am stumped.  This is what I've done...

* Set up a cvs server on a 4.3-RELEASE machine (for arguments
sake, called cvserver).

* Created the repository  (cvs init)

o Created a cvs group and changed permissions on the CVSROOT
dirs to
	chmod ug+rwx . CVSROOT

* Imported a project (locally)

* Uncommented the cvspserver and cvs entries in /etc/inetd.conf.

* Created a passwd file in my CVSROOT directory.  Created a user,
and given him a password (dpoland:sQq3rK4jsA8pU).  The password
came from apg -y.

The problem is I cannot connect to cvsserver from my 4.3-STABLE box
(called devbox).  On devbox I've set an environment variable as in:

	setenv CVSROOT pserver:dpoland@cvsserver:/usr/local/cvs

Here I get the following messages:

	devbox% cvs checkout myproject
	pserver:dpoland@cvsserver's password:
	Permission denied, please try again.

I try it three times and finally get:

	cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

I can telnet to cvsserver with:

	telnet cvserver 2401

 and get...

	cvs [pserver aborted]: bad auth protocol start: foo

when I enter "foo"

The really puzzling thing is when I do a tcpdump on my devbox and try
to catch some informative traffic.  I see absolutely nothing!  My devbox
is not making any network connections to cvsserver.  So, what process
is asking me for my password?  Do I have to configure something locally
beside my CVSROOT environment?

Many thanks for your assistance.

--
Regards,