Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 18:19:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        bv@wjv.com
Cc:        jkh@osd.bsdi.com (Jordan Hubbard), dillon@earth.backplane.com, kris@obsecurity.org, grog@lemis.com, tlambert@primenet.com, mckusick@mckusick.com, mi@misha.privatelabs.com, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, ru@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [kris@obsecurity.org: Re: cvs commit: src/etc rc]

> > >     I have to say, just IMHO, that as much as I like the concept
> > >     of a background fsck, I will never ever in my life use the
> > >     feature. I'll
>
> > Well, there are fscks and there are fscks.  It's my impression that
> > *all* a background fsck on a snapshot will ever do is return free
> > blocks to the freelist.  That's it.  It won't do any one of the dozens
> > of other crazy things you've probably seen fsck do in cleaning up a
> > badly scrogged filesystem and hence your fear, unless I'm smoking some
> > unusually strong crack, is likely unwarranted.
>
> I agree.  It's the 'fail-safe' approach.  On older slower Sys V
> based 'thingys' I've worked with in the past we'd run
> fsck -S from cron nightly.  That just rebuilt the free list IF and
> ONLY IF everything else was perfectly ok.

We would all be much better served by implementing soft read-only;
Kirk and Julian and I have discussed this on several occsions; I
believe the BSDI version of the code has this, as did the version
of the code Matt Day did when he, Mark Muhlestein, Steve Labelle,
and I ported the Heidemann framework and FFS and UFS to Windows 95.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.