Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:47:34 -0500
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: vmpfw in pine via NFS

> :> I am noticing a large number of pine (and only pine) procs stuck in disk-wait.
> :> All of the are in the WCHAN "vmpfw".  Any ideas what this may mean?
> :
> :Is the mail spool pine accessing on this NFS volume, or just the binary?
> :
> :If so you're breaking the cardinal rule of NFS: Never serve mail spools
> :via NFS.
> :
>
>     Which FreeBSD release is being used here?  What kind of NFS mount is
>     being used (localhost mount?)

Ok, I have some additional details, as I was able to mostly resolve the issue.

Yes, mail is nfs exported, but that does not appear to be the issue in this
case.  pine is run from nfs mounted "/usr/local" pine would hang every time
a user would go to send a composed message and wind up in "vmpfw".  The "fix"
was to go to the NFS server for /usr/local and do "mv pine pine.old; cp
pine.old pine".  This would (obviously) not affect any of the old pine's, it
would however allow any new pines to run w/o problems.  Note that any access
to /usr/local/bin/pine.old on the client machine would result in a hang.
Specifically "file /usr/local/bin/pine.old" resulted in "vmpfw" as did "cmp"
and a couple of others.  All of these worked just fine on the NFS server.
The release in question is 3.3-STABLE from this past Friday (Nov. 12).

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Acting Lab Director                       | NYSLP: FREEBSD