Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:53:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        Bob Cohen <bcohen@bpecreative.com>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing Packages

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Bob Cohen wrote:

> Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I've attempted
> installation of several packages using /stand/sysinstall and
> can't seem to run/find them after installation.  Where do
> they go and what do I have to do to get them to run once the
> install is complete.  I posses (and have read) THE COMPLETE
> FREEBSD on this subject but I'm just not understanding how
> this works.  Thanks.

AFAIK they go into /usr/local. So you will find the programs usually
in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin.
Once they are installed, they aren't automatically registered, I
suppose. You can run them by going to the directory in which they are,
and do ./{file name}. Easier is to do a 'rehash' (which doesn't work
in sh and bash, so switch to csh).
And there is of course the M$ method: reboot :-)

Marc

Marc Schneiders                 ||	In re tam justa
marc@venster.nl                 ||
marc@oldserver.demon.nl         ||	Acta SS. MM. Scillitanorum