Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:03:47 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Mike O'Dell" <mo@servo.ccr.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems building kernels

In message <200007111612.MAA61587@servo.ccr.org> "Mike O'Dell" writes:
: is anyone else more than a little concerned that the people who
: ostensibly understand all the details can't agree as to how to
: do what and when??

The people that do understand the details do agree.  Those that don't
understand are still arguing.  It is really that simple.  At least in
my opinion.  The upgrade path has been documented like this in
UPDATING for a while now.

: and this is supposed to be STABLE???

Sometimes shit happens.

: give us a break, guys. you don't go changing how a kernel
: gets built in a release called STABLE.

We try not to.  Sometimes it is necessary.

: and if you didn't do that, please explain that we can just
: ignore all the mail the last few days and go back to
: trying to figure out why cvsup-ing the latest STABLE
: release doesn't compile/run-on-SMP/etc,etc,etc

Look at UPDATING.  We try to keep that up to date.  Sometimes it takes
a couple of days to realize an entry is needed and sometimes the
UPDATING maintainer (me) has a life and can't commit it the instant
that something is know.

: i'll restate my minority view that the FreeBSD project
: *really* needs to rethink their release names and the
: whole release process, rather than explaining that
: we don't understand the effort's peculiar definitions
: of words like "stable"

This is a once in a great while situtation.  Sometimes it happens.  We
try to avoid it, but sometimes Doodoo happens.  Given the level of
heat when we do this once, I think that indicates that we've been
fairly successful in doing it.

This is now documented in UPDATING, which everyone should read and
understand before updating.  It was bad that it didn't get committed
until yesterday.

Warner