Date:      Wed, 08 Feb 2012 13:58:10 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /dev/ulpt0 -- How is it created?

It would appear that the device node /dev/ulpt0 gets (re-)created every
time I plug my USB printer back in.

Could somebody please kindly tell me what the exact mechanism is that
causes this device node to be (re-)created upon such events?

I am rather hoping that whatever that mechanism is, that I can diddle
it somehow so that every time /dev/ulpt0 gets created, it will be
created with perms set to 0666.

(Sorry, yes, I'm almost totally ignorant about how these kinds of
transient device nodes get automagically created these days.)