Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 16:01:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        smpatel@wam.umd.edu (Sujal Patel)
Cc:        macgyver@infinet.com, jkh@freefall.freebsd.org, DARREND@novell.com, hackers@freebsd.org, dlacroix@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu
Subject:   Re: Netscape 3.0b2 - Problem Found!

Sujal Patel writes:
> On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Wilson MacGyver wrote:

> > That's not true. My FreeBSD machine use a Tseng 4000 W32 in
> > 1024x768 at 8 bit mode. The New Netscape works perfectly including
> > the Java applets.

> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

> Darren are you running 8bpp?  Anyone else running this successfully with
> the XF86_S3 X server.

> I can't imagine it's anything but the Xserver (or something that's
> affecting the way my Xserver is performing).  I've tried a netscape3.0
> back to my display from multiple systems with different OSes and have had
> no luck.

> Matt:  Can you find out the details of the other system that failed to run
> Java apps, please?

	Ok, from the person experiencing the problem, I found out
that he's running XF86_S3.  He has even tried the 3.1.2D server
version with no luck.  HOWEVER, running netscape from his machine
displaying remotely to an 8bpp X Terminal (DEC) works fine!  His
roommate tried loading Accelerated X 1.3 at 8bpp on an ATI Mach64
card and got the same failures.  Apparently there seems to be a
message that comes up every time that the Java stuff fails:
"can't allocate background color."  Hope this information helps.

-matt

PS - I've added the owner of the other system to the CC list,
please keep him in the loop as well.

--
Matthew C. Mead

mmead@Glock.COM